Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Sisu- Possibly Explained



Sisu is a Finnish word that speaks to the character of the Finnish people. It could be defined as the determination of the indomitable spirit. It is a word that binds the people of a proud nation that has heroically weathered occupation and starvation. My Dad, who grew up as a first-generation Finnish American in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, would tell me of the suffering of the Finnish people at the hands of the Russians. The only thing that gave the Finns their edge? Sisu!
That was impressive to me. I wondered if I might also have Sisu. My Dad said that I did and that was all I needed to know.

We would watch the Winter Olympics and cheer for the Finnish crosscountry skiers. They would always win the medals- of course! It was because of Sisu...right? Yes, it was Sisu and, seriously, who else but Finns would bother with crosscountry skiing in the first place???

An interesting article on Sisu can be found here.

Check out brilliant Finnish design at Marimekko. www.marimekko.fi

No comments: